Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Becoming Toddlerwise

I don't know if anyone has read "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam, but I really think that their philosophy on helping babies sleep through the night really works. Kambria just turned 2 months old on Monday, and last night and the night before she slept 7 hours. That is not to say that it will continue that way, but at least I know she can sleep that long without eating. It can be super hard to let your baby cry, but it is so worth it when they learn how to put themselves to sleep and stay asleep.

So because I love that book, I decided to see if these authors had any other books because I have really been struggling with Delson and his temper tantrums lately. He has been very difficult. So I ordered their book, "On Becoming Todlerwise" and I am only 23 pages in and think they describe my life to a tee. This paragraph is absolutely perfect:
"During the one-year time span between 12 and 24 months, the walking, talking, exploring toddler multiplies the demands of mother's time, energy and patience more than any other period of his life.[...]Ah yes, the mobile toddler. There is no question that a toddler's mom is a tired mom, and for good reason. The emotional and physical energy needed to supervise an energy-packed tot can take down the most physically fit mom. If your toddler happens to be a boy, add fifty percent more energy. Never so beautiful does this child look to his weary mom as he does when he closes his eyes in sleep (p22-23)."
Delson totally wears me out. He has so much energy and he is constantly getting into things he shouldn't be. It's terrible and I LOVE it when he is sleeping and when he doesn't sleep, I nearly cry because I know he needs it and he is just being stubborn. I am so glad that this stage should only last for a year. And by the time he is done with it, Kambria will just be starting. What have I done to myself?

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh I'm sorry! Being tired is so draining (mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.)! I hope that book helps you figure things out. I need to get it for sure! Thanks for the tip and good luck.

Emily said...

You can do it!!! I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. That's how I've felt this past year too. So much energy bundled into one little person and mine isn't even a boy! There's nothing wrong with loving... LOVING nap time. I'm sure you're doing great! I hope the book helps, wish I had know about it before I was coming out of this stage! Maybe it would've made me brave enough to try getting pregnant by now?? :)

BBC said...

i'm also a big fan of babywise! you'll have to let me know how the toddlerwise ends up! :)

Kristen Miner said...

Never be ashamed of his nap time. Gavin woke up a bit early from his nap today and I left him in there for another 20 minutes. I still needed my time and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Cause even though it is silly, when mommy is happy everyone is happy.